Thursday 10 August 2017

What the World Needs Now Is Love Sweet Love

I don’t feel like writing anything today.

It is not as if my day has been negative, well not as far as my personal activities are concerned.

My core work was profitable, I sorted some files that long needed sorting and caught up on some research I have been avoiding. I even managed a 12 k run along the foreshore in the glorious winter sunshine.

The world just feels "yucky" today.

In Paris, there was yet another nasty incident.

In the USA, the daily soap opera that is the Trump Presidency continues as the Commander in Chief tries to prove his appendage is bigger than everyone else’s.

And then there is Australia and the "important in a different way" matter of the plebiscite decision yesterday.

The Australian Broadcasting Commission (your ABC) issued a reminder to staff of the need for balance in the Marriage Equality debate.

This was apparently prompted by the following Tweet from Lateline host Emma Alberici.
Seems balanced to me – equally critical of both major political parties.

However, it is also reported that ABC Management instructed staff to reference "Same Sex Marriage" and not "Marriage Equality".
Why?

My personal opinion is the correct term is Marriage Equality.
I see this as a fundamental issue of discrimination. A denial of an equal right to a group of people in the community who have the same issues and feelings, and the same rights in everything else as, well,  everyone else.

I look forward to reading the instructions issued to on-air staff about Marriage Equality and Same Sex Marriage by Sky News Management.  
I doubt it will reference balance - but I may be unfair in suggesting that.

What the world needs now is love sweet love, that’s the only thing there is just too little of………
Here is a musical moment to brighten your day, courtesy of Dionne Warwick.

No comments: