Tuesday 14 November 2017

Experience - What Is It Good For?

Experience, what is it and why is it important? 

Is it important?

I was reminded today of a phone conversation earlier this year between a (then) Manager Colleague and a Team Leader in another division. There was quite a debate taking place about how to measure the success of an upcoming seminar series. 

Naturally, I could only hear half the conversation however I was aware of what could be called “past tension” between the two in conversation and was not at all surprised they were struggling to reach a consensus.

Eventually, my colleague said “I have been doing this for 30 years. I know what I am doing”.

The conversation concluded shortly after.

What is the ideal level of experience and is there such a thing?

Experience is often confused with knowledge. 

I may have all the knowledge needed to explain a complex financial scenario to the Finance Committee but do I have the experience necessary to present it in a way that will hold their attention and garner the decision that is needed?

Conversely, because of my past experience, I may encourage the submission to the Committee be postponed because I know they always say no to funding product enhancements. I am sure you will agree that this is hardly a way forward.

Back to the phone conversation.

My colleague was leveraging his experience to refute the credibility of a new tool aimed at collecting feedback from seminar attendees. From his experience, nothing beats a paper and pen based process.

My colleague was not prepared to look at alternative, perhaps better data collection options. He possessed vast experience but if he had been more open, chances are he would have been able to use his experience to enhance the online tool therefore creating a win/win situation. 

Many times I have witnessed the cloak of experience be used to dismiss an initiative or shut down a proposal. 

My conclusion is, experience is an extremely valuable commodity, as long as its owner is able to apply said experience with an open mind to new ideas, processes, products, concepts and products. 

As soon as this ability deteriorates, experience becomes counterproductive and it is probably time to move on.


No comments: